The Delhi police in its new campaign to protect women have said thus on the basis of the testimony of a group of rapists and date rapists in prison interviewed on what they look for in a potential victim :
1) The first thing men look for in a potential victim is hairstyle. They are most likely to go after a woman with a ponytail or otherhairstyle that can easily be grabbed. They are also likely to go after a woman with long hair. Women with short hair are not common targets.
2) The second thing men look for is clothing. They will look for women whose clothing is easy to remove quickly. Many of them carry scissors around to cut clothing.
3) They also look for women on their mobile phone, searching throughtheir purse or doing other activities while walking, because they are off guard and can be easily overpowered
4) The time of day men are most likely to attack and rape a woman is in the early morning, between 5 and 8:30 a.m.
5) These men said they would not pick on women who have umbrellas, orother similar objects that can be used from a distance, in their hands.
SO… In order to survive the Capital city a woman must have short hair, wear complicated and well fitting clothes, must not use phones or carry purses (Or look through them), never go for an early morning stroll and carry an umbrella!
Is there something wrong with me or is the Delhi Women’s Cell missing the point?!