I’ve had the occasion lately to wonder what sort of ‘partner’ would be perfect. People undoubtedly change, so here is my list- at this point in time:
1. A person who understands ‘love’ and ‘relationships’ the way I understand it. This is probably the singularly most important thing to keeping a relationship going. There’s no point to a relationship where you feel un-loved and the other person feels unappreciated.
2. Someone who has time for you, above all else. This doesn’t mean the person doesn’t have a life — but within that life prioritizes you and your happiness above all else.
3. Someone who isn’t so truthful that it becomes an excuse and isn’t so dishonest that you get shocked.
4. Someone who is always proud of you and is willing to demonstrate it.
5. A person to take a holiday with, to just run-away with and be with.
6. Laughing partner.
7. Someone who gets the little things right – gifts you (even if only a single petal), does what you request on time, surprises you, calls you and is nice to you.
8. Reliable. Not someone who you need to think fifty times about before you ask them to do something for you.
9. A vertebrate – Seriously. Someone who has the guts to own you up and fight for you and more importantly fight to be with you. Within a reasonable time-frame.
10. A friend. Nothing that you can’t talk about. Nothing you can’t do.
That, could be a high set of expectations. Still, one can hope. After all one does not want to be the cloud across the sun…